Monday, March 24, 2014

Monday Morsels—Feeling Patriotic!


Did you see Coca Cola's "It's Beautiful" Super Bowl ad? 



After reading some recent articles about how my beloved Diet Coke (my precious!!!) has been accused of referencing cocaine in some of its ads (give me a freakin' break people), I realized I never fully voiced my opinion about the Super Bowl ad, which received both commendations and not-so-pretty reactions from viewers. 


The Super Bowl TV spot featured the classic anthem “America the Beautiful” sung in a variety of languages by multiple ethnicities. People spoke out on social media, either embracing or disgracing the message they thought the ad conveyed. Regarding the people who uttered negative outcries, including many who emphasized that this is America and people need to speak English, I immediately thought about how their sentiments propagate ignorance. Although individuals can exercise their First Amendment right to freedom of speech, I believe America’s citizens need to contemplate the potential far-reaching impact of their words.


I dreamed of visi
ting France since I was eight years old. Everything about the country mesmerized me, from the delectable foods and culture to the beauty of the language. However, when I would tell people I wanted to learn to speak French and visit there someday, many would say, “Oh, the French hate Americans. You should go somewhere else.” Even as a child, this did not make sense to me. Perplexed, I would say, “Oh, have you been there?” I never met one person who made a negative statement about the country who had actually been there. I finally went to France during my sophomore year of college. I traveled all over the country, and not only did I not meet a single soul who seemed to hate Americans, but I encountered numerous individuals with warm feelings toward my homeland. 



If the citizens of our country perpetuate the attitude that people in America should only “speak English” and that we eschew diversity, then eventually it might be safe for other countries to believe that Americans dislike everyone but themselves. Those who express negativity toward diversity need to ask themselves some serious questions about what America represents and how the founding fathers would feel about such statements. The Pledge of Allegiance states, “One nation, under God, with liberty and justice for all”—not with liberty and justice for English speakers only.
 
Site Design by Designer Blogs